Friday, March 12, 2010

Spillway



Local shows/bands are always hit or miss; most of these shows fall into the latter category. I've seen my fair share of local acts playing mediocre to fairly incompetent shows at a variety of locales (mostly Oly). I've also had my mind blown to pieces by a couple of these acts.

Last night, I'm happy to say, I had my mind ravaged by the sound of Spillway. The band, originally from Dallas, TX, has recently taken up post in Seattle with three of the original members and two locals. I sat through the [mediocre] openers and threw back a couple beers to take in the venue: Cafe Racer, a hipster bar (by all means) characterized by its 'home-like' feel: multiple rooms over a split level, inhabited by a wide range of cliques doing their own thing in each area. The 'stage' was just one of these rooms, but it felt 'garage like.' [It's certainly worth visiting]

I was expecting next to nothing and I received quite the opposite. It took all of ten seconds for me to fall in love with the band and they continued to impress throughout, driving my desire for more. Like a drug, enjoyment only brought more desire and it wasn't long until my subtle sway to the sound gave way to full-on dancing/head-banging action.

This is the best local act I've seen since Starfucker.

Their sound can only be characterized as a landscape: guitars climbing mountaintops; rolling bass and a thumping synth ripping canyons from rock; monstrous drumming pulling the song through swinging tempos; lo-fi vocals pulling a layer of fog to the ground, if only for their twangy peaks to emerge victorious on top. Seriously. I heard tints of bands like Built to Spill, Arcade Fire, Wolf Parade, Okkervil River... Self described as a rock/folk/punk group, Spillway merges a number of influences, obvious or not, into something cohesive that I can honestly call the most unique sound I've heard in a while. Each song has movement to it: varying velocities carry you to the top of a peak and toss you off, effortlessly, seamlessly, to a hole in the ground, pitch black and frightening. With few slip-ups, the band could be called impressive if only for the near-perfect execution of their ideas.

The recordings on the myspace page are a tad dated and I'd say that the sound has changed considerably since their Dallas days. I'm not sure if the lo-fi vocals was intended last night, but you won't hear it in these tracks. The band will be recording in the coming weeks and they've said they'll send me a track or two, so DO look forward to that. I'll be keeping close tabs on this band as they develop.

Also check out their official site and download their first album 'Any Old Place' (It's VERY good). They have their upcoming release listed as 'Stop Dreaming/The Northernmost Fisherman.'

Next show is April 4th at The Comet Tavern w/ Motopony. Who wants to come with?

Spillway (MS) | (OS) - Hair n Bone | UPDATE: *Rise and Rise and Fall* | Fader Parader

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said. Their music is like a river. One moment, the music flows with a sweet melody and the next is a crashing and rolling that gets the juices going.