Monday, February 22, 2010

I had to kill a panther with my bare hands to be allowed on the Cheetah


Sup beezies. I'm Tim. If you are one of the people who currently read/contribute to this blog, I'd put pretty good odds on the fact that you already know who I am. Probably like 2 to 1 odds. Those are good odds. Anyway, I'll be on here from time to time to distract people like Keegan from tagging everything with ELECTRO, and FRANCE, instead replacing them with things like, PSYCH-POP and RADIOHEAD. I'm looking forward to changing the Cheetah Love world...forever....

Ok. First knowledge drop from Tim: Caribou. Get on this shit people. Look at this goofy-looking Canadian fucker:



I don't know what it is about Canadians and swanky retro electro awesomeness (see: Junior Boys...mmmm); maybe it runs in the syrup or something. But you are looking at a guy who chose his name after dropping acid in the middle of the Canadian woods somewhere – oh, and his name was "Manitoba" before he changed it. Quite frankly, that's all you need to know. But fear not little birds, I will tell you more.

Caribou's music covers a pretty wide range, but the album that really got me into his music is the 2007 release Andorra. From the opening track on, I was sold. "Melody Day" gives you a pretty good feel for Caribou's sensibilities: much like it could be said that M83 is eternally sad that the 80s ended, Caribou seems to lament the loss of 60s swingers and flower children:



Now, his musical style has changed a lot over the course of his albums, but I've never disliked anything I've heard. His next album, Swim, is slated for release in April of this year, and I'm sure it promises to switch things up yet again. But if you want really genuine, original modern electronica that still somehow nostalgically captures a bygone era without feeling like a shtick, then check him out. Which, by the way, YOU CAN DO AT SASQUATCH BECAUSE HE'S TOTALLY GOING TO BE THERE!!!


No comments: