Thursday, February 25, 2010

Tim has a record player and speakers. Uh oh.


So my project yesterday was rummaging around in my basement and piecing together all the parts of what has now become my vinyl setup. My room needed a change, and once I had discovered a few days ago that there actually is a place in this God-forsaken city of Spokane to get ahold of records, I wanted to get some vinyl up in this bitch:

To say I'm retro-ing my room would be an understatement. I don't know how old the record player is...but the speakers are from 1963. And the story on them is the most baller shit of all time: my dad essentially bought them through the White House...


In the early 60s, my dad lived in a Virginia suburb, right outside D.C., and one of his neighbors happened to be the White House electronics guy, who had worked for multiple administrations (and apparently at some point partied with Jackie Kennedy) and was the guy in charge of everything that the White House used. He offered to get my dad the government price on these speakers, which were literally the single best speakers you could get at the time (made at M.I.T., which more recently spawned Bose), by including it in the next order he made for equipment at the White House. And now I have them. Be afraid. I already bought Kid A and Aeroplane.

1 comment:

Keegan said...

awesome. yr room looks straight out of some ivy league listening lounge circa 1968.